Hiccups as a problem with the diaphragm that makes you feel uncomfortable. How to get rid of hiccups apparently not difficult. You can follow some of the following ways to relieve hiccups.
Hiccups as a condition when there is a spasm in the diaphragm. Some people look for ways to get rid of hiccups. Although not risky, this situation is quite disturbing.
Hiccups occur when there is a spasm in the diaphragm that causes air to enter the lungs suddenly. This situation causes the throat to close quickly. It makes a hic sound during hiccups.
Causes of Hiccups
Hiccups or singultus are caused by many things. Quoting from halodoc.com, here are some of the causes of hiccups.
- High-temperature drinks.
- Soft drink.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Spicy food.
- Eat too fast.
- Depression, fear, or overexcitement.
In some cases, hiccups can also be caused by health problems. Here are a number of health problems that can cause hiccups.
- Metabolic problems, including hypoglycemia, hyperglycemia, and diabetes.
- Vagus nerve problems, such as meningitis, pharyngitis, and mumps.
- Nerve mechanism problems, such as severe brain injury, inflammation of brain tissue, tumors, and strokes.
- Respiratory problems, including pleurisy, pneumonia, and asthma.
- Psychological reactions, such as depression, joy, shock, fear, and sadness.
- Digestive problems, such as colitis, GERD, and intestinal obstruction.
- Taking some medications can also cause hiccups. Here are some medications that cause hiccups.
- Opioids or pain relievers.
- A sedative to treat anxiety problems.
- Anesthesia before surgery.
- Hypertension medication.
- Drugs to prevent seizures.
- Medication to reduce swelling and inflammation.
- How to Overcome Hiccups
- To reduce discomfort during hiccups, there are many ways to deal with hiccups that you can do. Quoting from hellosehat.com, here is the full description.
1. Breathing exercises
The first way you can do to overcome hiccups is with breathing exercises. You can practice breathing by taking as deep a breath as possible and then holding it for 10 – 20 seconds. Then exhale slowly.
In addition, you can also do other breathing techniques. For example, by inhaling for 5 seconds and then exhaling for 5 seconds. Both systems are believed to be able to overcome hiccups.
2. Press the diaphragm side
Another way to get rid of hiccups is to press the side of the diaphragm. This method can help the diaphragm relax more. But don’t put too much pressure on the diaphragm because it can have a fatal effect.
3. Cover your nose
Nose caps are believed to be able to get rid of hiccups easily. You can cover your nose while drinking water until the problem disappears.
4. Breathing with paper bag contribution
Another way to deal with hiccups is to breathe with the contribution of a paper bag. The trick is to stick the neck of the paper bag into the mouth and nose. Next, breathe in the bag.
The situation makes you have to inhale carbon dioxide. This can make the diaphragm contract and relax.
It must be understood that this method can only be carried out using a paper office. Do not use plastic bags because they can stick in your mouth and nose when you breathe.
5. Sit with your knees bent
Sitting with your knees bent can also get rid of hiccups naturally. The trick is to sit on a bent leg. Next, hug your knees while leaning in front like hugging.
Hold that status for about 2 minutes. That status can put pressure in place of the diaphragm. This situation can also release the air trapped in the diaphragm.
6. Consumption of certain foods and drinks
Another way to get rid of hiccups is by consuming certain foods or drinks. Here are some ways that can get rid of hiccups effectively.
- Gargle with cold water.
- Drink water with a stooped status.
- Swallow a spoonful of sugar.
- Put a little vinegar in your mouth.
- Drink one glass of cold water slowly.
- Drink one glass of warm water without stopping until it runs out.
- Put the lemon slice on the tongue, then suck like candy.
How to get rid of hiccups in babies
Hiccups can also be felt by babies. When you feel your baby is having hiccups, don’t worry. Because there are many things you can do. Quoting from halodoc.com, here are a number of ways to get rid of hiccups in babies.
1. Changing the attitude toward breastfeeding
When breastfeeding, air often enters the baby’s mouth. This can cause hiccups in the baby. An easy way to get rid of hiccups in babies is to change their attitude toward breastfeeding.
However, if the hiccups haven’t gone away, you should stop breastfeeding. Because it does not cover the possibility of the baby choking to experience hiccups.
2. Baby hug
Holding a baby is not only a form of parental love. But apparently giving cuddles can be a way to deal with hiccups in babies. Holding the baby can provide peace of mind when the baby has hiccups. Generally in a few moments, hiccups in babies can be reduced.
3. Gently pat the baby’s back
The next way to get rid of hiccups in babies is to gently pat the baby’s back. The trick is to hold the baby in a standing position, put the baby’s head on the shoulder, then gently pat the baby’s back until he burps.
4. Feed a little bit slowly
If your baby has consumed complementary foods, feeding little by little can get rid of hiccups in babies. Feed slowly so that the baby swallows easily and does not choke.
5. Give a pacifier
Pacifiers can also help relieve hiccups in babies. Let the baby suck the pacifier while he is hiccuping. This can help reduce the diaphragm and gradually stop the hiccups.
6. Stop breastfeeding for a while
The way to get rid of hiccups in the next baby is to stop breastfeeding for a while. Not only stopping breastfeeding but helping the baby to burp is important. By burping because of this, excess gas that causes hiccups can come out. Until the hiccups disappear.